DEPARTMENT of MICHIGAN
2019-20 MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM
"Together We Can Build a Stronger VFW”
To recruit, retain, and mentor ALL ELIGIBLE VETERANS into Veterans of Foreign Wars. A GOOD membership program will always include every veteran generation. Our mission is to motivate existing members and recruit new members to be knowledgeable of Post, District, Department, and National VFW programs. In addition, it is our mission to get ALL members involved with our local programs and events that support veterans and community. It remains every member’s mission and responsibility to participate and support a strong tradition of service, leadership, and community outreach. There are countless ways this can be accomplished and it is every member’s responsibility to maximize the level.
For the past several years, the VFW has been relatively successful in recruiting members aged 39 and younger. The only way to make this success permanent is to retain those members, recover past members, and recruit new members. We must improve the way we communicate with our members at all levels of the organization. Does your Post or District have a newsletter, email, social media presence or an outreach team that visits fellow members? In many cases, we have lost touch with our members because we do not communicate with them. Every good membership program MUST work towards getting to know our members and what their needs are. Let us get back to basics—our first priority is taking care of our members and the veteran community as a whole.
1. Present a positive image of the Veterans of Foreign Wars to our Veterans, Families, and Community.
2. Build a STRONGER POST and DISTRICT for the future.
3. Work TOGETHERto achieve ALL OUR VFW’s goals.
4. Instill team building and Esprit de Corps amongst all members.
5. Provide Veteran Service Officers (VSO) outreach to our posts and districts.
6. Create or improve our Social Media exposure (Facebook, Twitter, websites, YouTube, etc.) Create or improve email contact lists at your post and district. (Email newsletters, messages, information, etc.)
1. Recruit NEW and RECOVER unpaid annual members that walked away from the VFW.
2. RETAIN andMENTOR our existing membership.
3. DISTRICT Leadership assist and help revitalizeexisting Posts.
4. INCREASELife Membership.
5. INCREASE Legacy Life Membership.
6. Create or improve Student Veterans Outreach.
Member Retention Defined
Although retention is NOT a prerequisite for the All-State Program, it is extremely important to understand how retention is derived and the important role retention plays in accomplishing growth. The number of paid annual members in your Post on July 1 is the ensuing year’s "prior year total.” One more new or reinstated member is required to make up for each prior year annual member the Post fails to retain.
Your Post retention is derived from six types of payment components based on your prior year total of annual members:
Subscription Dues \ Annual Dues Defined:
All Annual members are on a 12 month dues renewing schedule. Memberships will expire on the last day of the month listed on the dues card. In other words, there are 12 DIFFERENT EXPIRATION DATESfor annual paying members. The EXPIRATION DATE is always the LAST DAY of the MONTH. Monthly, the Post Commander, Quartermaster, and Membership Committee should be reviewing the unpaid member list (90 days out) and making personal contact with those members in advance of membership expiration. There is NO PENALTY when membership dues are paid early. ANNUAL PAYING MEMBERS with membership expirations in MAY and JUNE MUST BE RENEWED PRIOR TO APRIL 30 to ensure the PostDistrict is at 100% in membership for Awards at State Convention. In addition, their dues MUST be processed by National Membership Department prior to June 30 in order to receive current year credit. So, it is extremely important that all MAY AND JUNE expiring members pay early or on time!
Department Membership Awards
All Membership Awards are derived from the numbers coming from the National Membership MemStats and or records retained by our National Membership Department in Kansas City.
Note: To receive RECRUITING CREDIT, please remember that you MUSTput your NAME and VFW ID Number on the Membership Application Form for ALL new members you recruit and or reinstate. It is VERY important that the Post Quartermaster include the recruiter information when transmitting ALL MEMBERS to the National membership Department. It is the RECRUITERand POST QUARTERMASTERS’S responsibility to ensure this is done accurately with every application.
EARLY ANNUAL DUES PAYMENT AWARDS
1. Any Annual\ Continuous member who pays their 2019-20 Annual Dues before Sept. 20, 2019 will have their name put into a drawing for a $100.00 cash prize.
2. Any Annual\ Continuous member who pays their 2019-20 Annual Dues between Sept. 21 and January 17, 2020 will have their name put into a drawing for $100.00 cash prize.
3. Any Annual\ Continuous member who pays their 2019-20 Annual Dues between Jan 18, 2020 and April 30 will have their name put into a drawing for $100 cash prize.
SPECIAL AWARDS to DISTRICTS (These Awards are cumulative)
1. Districts attaining 95% in MEMBERSHIP by the 2019 Fall-Conference will receive a $50 gift certificate to the VFW Store
2. Districts attaining at least 97% in MEMBERSHIP by 2019 Veterans Day will receive a $50 gift certificate to the VFW Store.
3. Districts attaining 98% in MEMBERSHIP by 2020 Mid-Winter Conference will receive a $50 gift certificate to the VFW Store.
4. Districts attaining 100% in MEMBERSHIP by March 1, 2020 will be receive a $50 gift certificate to the VFW Store.
5. District Commanders attaining 100% in MEMBERSHIP by April 30, 2020will receive a personalized State Commander’s Membership Jacket.
6. Districts attaining 100% in MEMBERSHIP by June 30, 2020 will receive an Honor Banner\Award.
7. NEW POST AWARD if a Brand New Post is approved for a Charter during the 2019-2020
administration the District will receive a $100 gift certificate to the VFW Store to go toward
equipping the new post with supplies.
SPECIAL AWARDS to POSTS (These Awards are cumulative)
1. Posts attaining 97% in membership by 2019 Fall-Conference will be put in a drawing to receive a $50
gift certificate to the VFW Store. (5 winners)
2. Posts attaining 98% in membership by 2020 Mid-Winter Conference will be put in a drawing
to receive a $50 gift certificate to the VFW Store. (5 winners)
3. Posts attaining 100% in membership by April 30, 2020 will be put in a drawing to receive a $50
certificate to the VFW Store. (5 winners)
4. Posts attaining 100% in MEMBERSHIP by June 30, 2020 will receive an "Honor Post” Banner.
5.NEW POST AWARD when a Brand New Post approves to Charter during the 2019-2020
administration the New Post will receive an American Flag, Staff, and Stand.
SPECIAL AWARDS to the VFW AUXILIARY
for VFW membership to the Department Membership Director will receive a $100 gift certificate to
the VFW Store. Deadline to submit referrals are May 15, 2020.
2. The TOP INDIVIDUAL and TOP DISTRICTwith the most name referrals will receive a "Special
State Commander Award” at the 2020 VFW State Convention.
Individual VFW Recruiter Awards (These Awards are cumulative)
Recruit 1 New\Reinstate Member - State Commander’s Pin
Recruit 5 New\Reinstate Members - $10 gift certificate to the VFW Store
Recruit 10New\Reinstate Members - State Commander’s Shirt
Recruit 15New\Reinstate Members - Commander’s Challenge Coin
Recruit 25New\Reinstate Members - Commander’s Recruiter Jacket (April 30, 2020 Deadline)
Elite District Recruiter - The District member that recruits the most new and \reinstate
members by April 30, 2020 will receive a personalized "2019-20
Elite District Recruiter Jacket”. Minimum number of new\reinstate
members is 26. One winner per district. (One jacket per winner)
Elite State Recruiter - Every member who recruits 50 or more New\Reinstate
members by April 30, 2020 will receive a special
personalized "2019-20 Elite State Recruiter Jacket”.
(One jacket per winner)
Recruit a New Life Member - For every brand new Life member recruited YOUR NAME & New Life
Member’s Name will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win.
1. The NEW LIFE MEMBER receives a $100 gift certificate from the VFW Store.
2. The RECRUITER receives a $100 gift certificate from the VFW Store
The drawing will be held during the 2020 State Convention.
(Annual members converting to Life Membership are excluded
Department Membership Team
Gary Gamble, Director Gary Brown, Asst. Director
Post 345 – Dist. 4 Post 2406 – Dist. 8
17354 Centralia 10975 Irish Rd.
Redford, MI 48240 Vermontville, MI 49096
313 575-6258 517 667-1189
Scott Cleary Vern Blauwkamp
Post 5600 – Dist. 15 Post 2144 - Dist. 8
509 Heard St. 943 Grand Ridge Ct.
Ontonagon, MI 49953 Holland, MI 49423