2019-2020 SAFETY PROGRAM
The Safety Program of the VFW continues to provide and promote programs designed to safeguard our communities. The VFW is actively conducting and participating in six major categories under which any drug or safety activity will fall. Virtually all drug or safety activities conducted by a Post can be reported within each of the six categories. Credit will be given only once for each activity.
The Program Reporting period is May 1, 2019 to April 30, 2020.
The six categories are:
1. Highway Safety: Any activity intended to improve individual driving skills and awareness or activities associated with improving safety in our vehicles and on our roadways. (Click It or Ticket, State approved driving course)
2. Pedestrian Safety: Any worthwhile activity inteded to improve individual awareness and visibiltiy or non-motorized vehicle riding skills, awareness and responsibility. (Bicycle Safety, Lite-a-Tike or Halloween Safety Bags)
3. Recreational Safety: Any organized activity associated with improving the skills and responsibilities of those individuals engaged in recreation activities with children and/or adults. (Hunter Safety, Water/Boater Safety, Outdoor Safety, Winter Sprots Safety)
4. Home/Fire Safety: Acvities designed to promote and inform individuals within the community about protecting thier homes, possessions and lives. (Home/Fire Protection - Indoor/Outdoor)
5. Drug Awareness: Any program designed to inform and protect your community fro the influence of substance abuse, to include prescription drugs. (D.A.R.E., PTA meetings, Substance/Alcohol Abuse awareness)6. Recognition/Other: A program to bring public recognition to the people of the community who spend their work day protecting the lives and property. Recognizing the heroism/or safety achievements of those indivuals in the community. This category may also be used to report an activity that does not fit into any of the above categories, including cooperation with other groups and organizations besides the VFW. (Life Saving Award, Law Enforcement Officer, EMT/Paramedic, Firefighter of the Year Award, Distribution of various safety related materials)
Each Post shall submit, to the Safety Director, their nominations for each of the following: Firefighter award, Emergency Medical Technician/Paramedic award and the Law Enforcement award NO LATER THAN December 31ST, 2019. Department will submit one entry from each category to National. Citations will be issued for Department winners at the 2020 Department Convention.
Awards: The top 3 Posts in each division based on the number of creditable reports will receive Department Citations. Posts will receive one point for each activity reported on the Department Activity Report. Posts will receive ten (10) points for submitting an entry for Firefighter, Emergency Medical Technician/Paramedic or a Law Enforcement officer of the year. (Maximum of 30 points total).
Divisions: As of July 1, 2019
Let's be committed to Drug Awareness and Safety in the Great State of Michigan.
Points will be awarded in the All-State Program for reporting projects on your monthly activities report as well as reporting to the Department Chairman.
All State: Points will be awarded to each Post, if the Post participates in the following programs:
1. One (1) point per month if a Post submits a Drug report to the Department by the 10th day of the month following the activity.
1. One (1) point per month if a Post submits a safety report to the Department by the 10th day of the month following the activity.
2. Ten (10) points per category if a Post submits a name to the Firefighter of the Year, Law Enforcement of the Year and/or Emergency Medical Technician/Paramedic of the Year Program. Nominations Must be submitted to the Safety Director by December 31st, 2019.
3. Three (3) points will be awarded if a Post submits a name for a Life Saving award. Maximum of 3 points. Nominations Must be submitted to the Safety Director.
Any questions should be directed to the Program director.
Jessica Wright, Safety Director